Friday, February 25, 2011

Birthday Meals!

Being the total foodie that I am, I had to post my yummy birthday meals. I celebrated with my parents on my actual birthday and then we had a special birthday dinner a few days later with my brother, sister-in-law, nephew and niece.

My first celebration meal was a super delicious breakfast of scrambled eggs, sauteed collard greens and orange slices. This was so great that I completely forgot to take a picture...but it truly was a fantastic way to start the day.

For lunch, we had something I really enjoy...chicken with leeks and apples. Mmm...Granny Smith apples are my absolute favorite. There is just a little apple cider vinegar in this recipe too which really enhances the flavor. We had some collards left over from breakfast, so we added those as a side.


My dessert for this day was a decadent chocolate walnut brownie. I've been asked for some recipes, and this one is so quick and easy that I'll share it below. We enjoyed these tremendously!



The original plan for our family dinner was to include steak, but our local co-op was unable to get the organic, grass-fed filet in, so we went with plan B...my nephew's favorite when he is at Mimi's house: "healthy shapes" with a side of broccoli and the adults had a spinach salad. Healthy shapes are super nutritious with ingredients including; carrots, celery, mushrooms, walnuts, lentils, flax seed, thyme and parsley. We began making these in cookie cutter shapes to entice my nephew and niece to eat them, so although we now make only circles they are still referred to as healthy shapes. The great thing about them is that you can make up a bunch and freeze them to pull out for a quick meal when you are short on time.


I tried a new carrot cake recipe...it was a risk and had about a 50% approval rating. Apparently, it must be a "girl thing" because all of us girls liked it, but the men where a little less enthused. The cake was made with almond meal and sweetened with maple syrup. I used a coconut cream frosting that was also sweetened with maple syrup, so no refined sugar was used resulting in no crazy blood sugar spikes and for that we should all be thankful.





I thoroughly enjoyed both birthday meals and can't wait to try more new recipes and for more reasons to celebrate!

As promised, here is the chocolate walnut brownie recipe:

Ingredients:
1/4 C. extra-virgin coconut oil
1/2 C. bittersweet chocolate chips
1/4 C. raw honey
2 eggs
1/4 C. coconut flour
1/4 tsp. celtic sea salt
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1 tsp. vanilla
1/2 C. chopped walnuts
1/2 C. bittersweet chocolate chips

*Can use semi-sweet chocolate chips for a sweeter brownie.

Directions: Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 8 x 8 glass or stainless steel baking pan with extra-virgin coconut oil.

In small sauce pan melt coconut oil and 1/2 cup chocolate chips.

Add honey, reduce heat, add eggs. Whisk until well combined.

Add coconut flour, salt, baking soda and vanilla. Stir until well combined.

Spread batter in prepared pan.

Sprinkle chopped walnuts and 1/2 cup chocolate chips over the top.

Bake about 15 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment