Friday, March 11, 2011

SKYDIVING

Yesterday I had an interesting conversation with a friend who is becoming a certified skydiving instructor. It went like this:

ME: Been skydiving lately?

FRIEND: Yeah, I go as often as I can. Have you been yet?

ME: No, I would like to, but just haven’t tried it yet…if I’m going to ever try it, I need to before I get married and have children because you know, I would feel so responsible for these other people that I just don’t know if I could take the risk.

FRIEND: I want to get married one day too, but I don’t know if I could say no to skydiving. Besides, if it is God’s will for me to go at that time then it doesn’t matter what I’m doing, right?

ME: Well, what if you aren’t killed, but just injured and paralyzed?

FRIEND: That could be God’s will too.

ME: But what if it wasn’t His perfect will? What if in doing so, I stepped outside of His will for me at that time and paralysis was the consequence?

FRIEND: I see what you are saying…that makes sense…something to think about.

I think skydiving is very intriguing and maybe one day I will try it! So, I’m not saying anything against that, but it does make me wonder. How often do I step outside of God’s will, His most perfect plan for my life and how many times does He send warring angels to protect me from my ignorance or willful disobedience? How many hurts could be avoided by being so in-tune with my Creator that I can’t help but walk with Him always?

My people go into exile for a lack of knowledge. –Isaiah 5:13

Lord, please help me to know your word, to be able to give an answer for the choices I make, to choose life instead of things that lead to death. Please help me to question what I don’t understand and seek until I find the answers, your answers.

Please forgive me, Lord, for looking to the world and blindly believing lies that it tries to sell me. Please forgive me for participating in all things that have not been beneficial to me. Thank you for knowledge and for shining your light that I may see truth and change. Please continue to shine your light in the dark places of my life where I still need to grow in wisdom and discernment. Thank you for your grace and mercy that cover all of my faults and failures and guide me into your truth.

But when anything is exposed to the light, it becomes visible, for anything that becomes visible is light. Therefore, it says, “Awake, o sleeper, and arise from the dead, and Christ will shine upon you.” – Ephesians 5:13-14

No comments:

Post a Comment