Friday, February 12, 2010

What's in a name?

It usually begins with tightness in my chest which leads to knots in my stomach and a sensation like rushing water through the veins in my neck. This is anxiety. I knew I internalized my stress, but never realized just how until I began using a heart rate monitor while exercising. The monitor made me aware of a tendency to hold my breath when exerting more energy during workouts. I then began to notice my breathing patterns during stressful situations such as driving in heavy traffic or when I’m running late (which is all too often, but we’ll save that topic for another post). The feelings of anxiety can occur at random times too…even when sitting down at night to catch up on an episode of The Biggest Loser which makes me wonder, “Why am I so anxious?” I don’t know which comes first, holding my breath or feeling anxious, but the two go hand in hand. So, I’m calling my blog Learning to Breath because that is what I’m doing right now. And I have to look no further than the loving words of my Heavenly Father:

Do not be anxious for anything, but in all things, with prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, present your requests to God. And the peace of God, which transcends all understanding, will guard your hearts and your minds in Christ Jesus. – Philippians 4:6-7

Do not be anxious about your life… - Matthew 6:25

My grace is sufficient for you. – 2 Corinthians 12:9

Be still so you won’t miss the great things God is doing. – Job 37:14

Be still by the side of the Lord. – Exodus 33:21

Be still before the Lord and wait patiently for him; do not fret. – Psalm 37:7

Be still and know he is God. – Psalm 46:10

Let Jesus calm your storms, “Peace, be still.” – Mark 4:39

As I draw closer to his word, the Lord reveals precious treasures of encouragement, security and rest. When my soul is stilled, I’m reminded to inhale deeply and exhale slowly, to let his word go deep into my heart, mind and soul, to wash over me and to fill my life with his love and purposes. Here are a few more treasures:

Let everything that has breath praise the Lord. – Psalm 150:6

The Lord God gives breath to the people and spirit to those who walk on the earth. “I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness, I will take you by the hand and keep you. – Isaiah 42:5-6

I will…put breath in you, and you shall live, and you shall know that I am the Lord. – Ezekiel 37:6

No comments:

Post a Comment