Thursday, February 25, 2010

Blessed Birthday Weekend

A wonderful dinner with mom and dad at Outback on Friday night kicked off my birthday weekend. I had filet mignon, veggies, and an absolutely scrumptious baked sweet potato with butter and cinnamon. Our service was great and they have a gluten-free menu, so ordering was easy and not stressful at all! Mom and I each ordered the Thunder from Down Under to go (a huge flourless brownie with rich vanilla ice cream, chocolate sauce and whipped cream). We savored them later at home.

On Saturday morning (Birthday Day!), I felt the Lord awakening me at 7:00 a.m. I sat in bed and began a daily study entitled: New Beginnings. I thought this was just perfect for the beginning of a new year…the final year of my 20’s! Two hours later I had sensed the Lord speaking to me about so many things…past, present and future. I don’t always have that much time to spend in God’s word, but He certainly blessed me that day with time and attentiveness to what He wanted to say to me.

Mom and I made our usual breakfast of scrambled eggs, mighty tasty hot cereal and fresh berries. Then we had a warm slice of freshly baked banana chocolate chip bread. It was so moist and the chocolate chips were still soft and melty. Yum! I found a new recipe earlier in the week and had to try it out. It smelled so delish baking, that we couldn’t wait to taste it. We then went over to Downtown Fairhope for an afternoon of shopping and dinner at the Fairhope Inn and Restaurant. The weather was nice, sunny and in the mid-sixties…such an answer to prayer! (I’m ready for summer!) Dinner was fabulous. This was our second time to eat at this little cottage of a restaurant. The atmosphere is quaint, friendly and very nice. We sat on the glass-enclosed porch overlooking the courtyard. There was quite a bit of green in the courtyard for mid-February, especially considering how freezing our temperatures have been this winter. We both ordered a small salad of mixed greens, candied pecans and apples with vinaigrette dressing. Then we each had the roasted salmon served over sweet potatoes and asparagus with freshly made hollandaise sauce. Everything was cooked perfectly, the service was impeccable and it truly was a fabulous, fabulous meal!

On Sunday the celebrating continued after church. My brother, sister-in-law, nephew and niece came over for lunch and we celebrated with molten chocolate cake for dessert. It certainly was a food-filled, family-filled, relaxing, peaceful, birthday weekend. Just the way I like it!

I had Monday off from work and was able to spend some lengthy time in The Word. Again, I was amazed and awestruck at how God ties all things together. I know I’m on the right track when Sunday sermons, group Bible studies and daily devotionals are all pointing me in the same direction (to the cross). I know He is speaking to me and wooing me to Himself. I’m grateful for this new beginning to go deeper.

No comments:

Post a Comment