Sunday, May 1, 2011

Simply Walking

For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them. – Ephesians 2:10

As a Christian, believing in and saved by the blood of Christ, claiming Him as my Lord, I am new. The old has fallen away and I am a new being. As a new creation, there are specific works God has planned for my life, a specific purpose to fulfill. He intends to use me for good work, good work that I am to “walk in”…if I am to “walk in them”; shouldn’t these works come naturally as a part of my day? They should be an overflow of the joy and faith and relationship I have with God the Father, Jesus Christ and the Holy Spirit which now lives in me.

But now in Christ Jesus you who once were far off have been brought near by the blood of Christ. For he himself is our peace…that he might create in himself one new man in place of the two, so making peace, and might reconcile us both to God in one body through the cross. –Ephesians 2:13-16

In Christ I am one, I am whole. I receive wholeness in Jesus. Wholeness is a promise I have in Christ.

In Christ, we also are being built together into a dwelling place (a house?) for God by the Spirit. (Ephesians 2:22)

By wisdom a house (dwelling place?) is built, and by understanding it is established, by knowledge the rooms are filled with all precious and pleasant riches. – Proverbs 24:3-4

In seeking Christ, He graciously gives me wisdom – in effect, he is building a dwelling place.

God’s presence (the Holy Spirit) in me is what fills the rooms of this dwelling place with precious and pleasant riches. The overflow of the filling of these rooms, this dwelling place, with His Spirit is a life of joy, peace, love, and abundance.

I am come that they may have life and have it more abundantly. – John 10:10

Abundant: sufficient, filled, overflowing, lavish, extravagant, generous, unselfish

I never thought about abundant as being unselfish until I saw it in a thesaurus.

In essence, when Jesus speaks in John 10:10, is He intending: I am come that they may have life and have it more unselfishly?

Jesus came to serve, even unto death. At his last meal he set an example for us as he served the disciples by washing their feet.

When he had finished washing their feet, he returned to his place. “Do you understand what I have done for you?” He asked them. “You call me ‘Teacher’ and ‘Lord,’ and rightly so, for that is what I am. Now that I, your Lord and Teacher, have washed your feet, you also should wash one another’s feet. I have set you an example that you should do as I have done for you. Very truly I tell you, no servant is greater than his master, nor is a messenger greater than the one who sent him. Now that you know these things, you will be blessed if you do them. – John 13:12-17

If I will simply walk with Christ, reading His Word, communicating with Him in prayer, the work the Father has prepared in advance for me to do will flow naturally from my life. Because He lives in me, I can be unselfish (Aren't acts of service the practice of unselfishness?) and I can serve Christ through obedience and faith and by serving others. The result will be a filled to overflowing, joyful, loving, and truly abundant life.

Lord, Your Word is life to me. Please seal it within my mind and my heart that I may live by it!

No comments:

Post a Comment