Saturday, May 21, 2011

French Fries and Chocolate Milk



I was thinking back to some of my favorite childhood foods and remembered that one of my favorite lunch meals was French fries with chocolate milk. I loved hot crispy shoe string fries with a little saltiness paired with a cool carton of chocolate milk. I’m sure now, looking back, there was little if any real nutritional quality in this lunch, but as a child I didn’t think too much about nutrition...it was all about taste!

It’s been years since I’ve eaten white potatoes (they're just a little too starchy for me) or chocolate milk. Nowadays it's still all about taste, but nutrition is equally important, so when I want to reminisce and yearn for a comfort meal I make baked sweet potato fries and chocolate pudding!


I’ve been on a chocolate pudding kick for the last few weeks…I’m going through phases apparently, because a few weeks before that I was making and eating chocolate truffles weekly! The pudding is dairy-free with the main ingredient and source of creaminess being avocados. Avocados are a rich source of potassium and healthy fat, plus they contain 17 vitamins and minerals…they are great on salads, but this is quite possibly my most favorite way to have them!

Creamy Chocolate Pudding

4 Medjool Dates (pitted, soaked in water, drained)
¼ Cup Raw Honey
¼ - ½ Cup water (as needed depending on desired thickness)
3 Avocados
¾ Cup Cocoa (I prefer the taste of Rapunzel brand)
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract

Place all ingredients in blender and blend until smooth. Chill in the refrigerator until ready to eat. This generally serves 4 at my house. We like things on the less-sweet side, so if you are not a fan of dark or bitter chocolates you may want to add more dates or honey as needed to best suit your taste.

No comments:

Post a Comment