Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Into the Wilderness

As a healthy, active, fun-loving twenty-four-year-old I found myself in the doctor’s office with a diagnosis of iron-deficiency anemia. This is a common issue for young women who exercise and lead active lifestyles and according to the doctor; my best course of action was to take iron pills for three months to give me a boost. I’ve never been a proponent of using pills or medication unless there was absolutely no other, more natural, method of healing. I quickly researched iron-deficiency and opted to take a daily multi-vitamin and up my intake of iron-rich foods…beef, chicken, eggs, leafy greens, etc. In three months I was feeling great and my iron levels were in the normal range. The next couple of years many things changed…I became restless at my current career in advertising and pursued a career in interior design. This was a fun adventure, but as the economy slowed down I could see the handwriting on the wall for my employer’s fate. I let fear, anxiety and a little pride creep in and I panicked. I went back to college to pursue a completely different avenue. At first, it wasn’t too stressful and I received encouragement from others that I was on the right path. Somewhere deep within I knew that I was not fulfilling my purpose in this pursuit, but I quenched those thoughts and continued on because it felt “safe”. As the days and weeks and months went on, I began to feel more stressed and anxious about the decision, but I pushed through and kept going. Stress and anxiety began to take control and my diet was not as healthy as it once had been. I experienced fatigue, digestive issues, low iron, and pale/unhealthy skin tone. In 2009, four years after the iron-deficiency diagnosis, with all of these new symptoms, I felt at a loss. I was trying to do what I thought I needed to do, but failing to truly seek guidance from the Lord. I cried out to Him and asked Him to show me what I needed to do, what I needed to change. It was almost immediately that He opened my eyes to see information that had been coming before me that would start a journey to great healing and health. There was only one concern…the scripture that resounded in my mind at this time:

Behold, I will allure her, and bring her into the wilderness, and speak tenderly to her. And there will I give her her vineyards and make the Valley of Achor a door of hope. And there she shall answer as in the days of her youth as at the time when she came out of the land of Eqypt. –Hosea 2:14-15

I had such a peace about what God was going to do. I knew with full confidence that He was in control and everything was working for my good and His glory. But, the wilderness? I asked Him over and over again…”what do you mean, the wilderness? Aren’t I already in a wilderness?” In the silence of His answer, I knew something was going to get worse, harder, require more dying to self, but I felt peace.

2 comments:

  1. Just saw your post. Very good. Isn't it great how God decides to deal with us in the way He sees fit?!! I have been through those wilderness times myself. I'll be praying that He really speaks to you in the coming days. Be ready cause you just might get stretched beyond your wildest dreams!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! It is scary and exciting all at the same time! I'm glad He is in control and not me :)

    ReplyDelete